- Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- 1 thin lime wedge
- 1 1/2 ounces silver (blanco), 100 percent agave tequila
- 1 ounce triple sec orange liqueur, preferably Luxardo Triplum or Cointreau
- 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 1 lime)
- 1 very thin lime slice, for garnish
1. Pour enough salt on a small plate to cover it.
2. Rub the lime wedge on the outside rim of a 4-ounce cocktail glass. Holding the glass at a 45-degree angle, dip the outside rim in the salt, rotating as you do, so the entire rim is coated with salt. (Avoid getting any salt inside the glass.) Fill the glass with ice and place it in the freezer to chill.
3. Add the tequila, triple sec, and lime juice to a cocktail shaker and fill the shaker halfway with ice. Shake vigorously until the outside of the shaker turns frosty. Strain the margarita into the chilled glass and garnish with a lime slice.
All self-respecting margaritas are made with only 100 percent agave tequila (we like to use the high-quality Cuervo 1800, Patrón Silver, Herradura, or Don Julio) and Cointreau.